What I've Been Up To and Stuff to Try
This post has affiliate links, which means I may make a small commission if you follow the link and make a purchase. This is always at no additional cost to you. I'm so grateful for your support. Learn more here.
I am so pumped up! It's the day I've been working toward for over a year, it was the last day at my job. I'm entering a new season and I don't know if there's anything quite like a new season when that is what you need. It's reminding me of when I moved across the country for school, and to follow my now-husband, and when I quit my daycare job to be a Research Assistant while I got my Masters degree, and like when I got married and we moved into our new place together.
Some experiences just become watershed moments where your life is fundamentally better because it's more aligned who you are, and so you're happier and the grass really is greener because you're in the right place for you to be.
Anyway, that is where I am and my hope for you is that you are able to be you wherever you are, and to enter a new season whenever the time comes. And seasons can come with subtle changes such as a change in mindset, it doesn't have to be about big moves or life changes.
Ok, so on to the list. I don't know if I'll always do lists, but it's working right now so I hope these are helpful. Here are some things I've been up to and stuff for you to try.
- You can be a Boss Mom - I started reading Boss Mom, by Dana Malstaff, and I was immediately impacted by the first section where she talks about love. She says when we view love as abundant and a resource we can always create more of, and we view life as a bucket instead of separate work and home buckets, we can let ourselves love our kids/family and our business, and prioritize in a way that is authentic for ourselves, and find a place where we have love for all of it, and so we find a way for it to all work together. Totally what I need right now. And if you're not a member, I recommend her facebook group, Boss Moms, I really love it.
- Keyword Browser Tool - If you want to more easily get keyword info as your browse the web, go to keywordseverywhere.com and install the browser addon. Just try it, it's fun.
- Experiment - I changed the subject line of my newsletter last week, and the same percentage of people read it, which tells me you're either reading or you're not, and that makes me think I don't need to think of a fancy subject line when I'm not feeling it.
- Consider Your Automation - On that note, I have to say that I've heard some interesting debate/conversation on how to address your email list, and I wanted to tell you that I decided to use a generic 'hey friend' or something similar, because I'm going to reserve your name for when I'm actually emailing you personally. It's another reason I like having a name for my newsletter. I hope to continue to regularly email many of you, and I want you to know when it's personally from me and when it's not. Anyway, food for thought. (I also really want to address it 'hey guys' but that seems weird because we're all girls. Maybe that's from how I grew up. Will that be weird if I start saying 'hey guys, I just realized such and such'?)
- Focus Your Marketing - I got some advice that I think was good. If you're in services this will probably seem obvious. But they said to have a single focus in your marketing, but then take on clients or business that is not directly related if it's something you want to do or someone you're glad to work with. I think this will help me focus my marketing, which is really hard for some reason.
- Steven Pressfield is amazing - I keep coming back to Steven Pressfield's books. I read Turning Pro again last week as I was working up the courage to have my exit interviews and be professional through the process. And now I'm rereading Do the Work, again because it's just so good for getting you in the mindset to embrace the creative process and push through barriers like writer's block. Next is The Artist's Journey.
- Watch for New Opportunities - I got a referral from a friend of someone who wanted help with Adwords (now Google Ads). I'm not close to having a course done, but I offered to tutor her. It turns out she needs to learn it for job, and her company ended up paying me, and I met her boss too, and their company is bigger than I realized. (First call was this morning.) And a few hours is turning into more hours. I'm really excited about the project and I'm the perfect person to help them, even though it's totally not what I thought I was looking for. So don't be afraid to give things a shot when they don't line up with what you were expecting.
- Thank you - On that note, thank you so much, to all of you for reading and being my community. Several of you have reached out to me with potential jobs, or to refer friends. I appreciate it so much. If you know anyone who wants help with analytics or adwords (google ads), let me know.
- Analytics - Since you're on my list, if you have a few questions about your analytics account, I'd be glad to set up some custom reports for you for free, just shoot me an email about it.
Get the Free Analytics Dashboard
Demystify Analytics and start getting valuable insight from your traffic data.
I've created a custom analytics dashboard template and a 10 week email course to walk you through using it in just 15 min a week.